The discovery of new species in Mexico 2020-2021
“The discovery of new species in Mexico 2020-2021”
A (Virtual) Lunchtime Lecture by Dr. Cristóbal Sánchez
In October we welcomed Dr. Cristóbal Sánchez from Jardín Etnobotánico Francisco Peláez R. (San Andrés Cholula, Puebla, Mexico). Dr. Sánchez, a regional delegate of the Botanical Society of Mexico, presented examples of the current work of botanical exploration in Mexico by the scientific community, from fieldwork to the publication of new taxa, and the importance of herbaria and botanical gardens in this process. Dr. Sánchez also addressed some changes that have occurred in the way of working with the arrival of Citizen Science Observation Platform, cybertaxonomy, and the COVID-19 pandemic. This 1-hr seminar included a short Q&A session after the lecture.
This virtual seminar will be broadcast using the Zoom platform.
Click here to connect to the event. The host will admit you once the event begins. Guests will be muted upon entry to the session.
Lecture includes a chat-based Q&A with the speaker. A recording of the lecture will be posted online after the event pending permission from the presenter. Check out past lectures here.
- THIS EVENT HAS ENDED. You may view the recording at https://youtu.be/SeJRi5I1Kek.
- Resources mentioned during the lecture:
- Illustration of Important Players in Mexican Natural History: https://bioteca.biodiversidad.gob.mx/janium-bin/janium_zui.pl?fn=14175&jzd=/janium/Documentos/Cartel_Curiosos_Comprometidos/d.jzd
- AbaTax, a tool and mobile app for creating taxonomic keys: https://www.abatax.abaco3.org/web/
- Conservationist and photographer Roberto Pedraza Ruiz’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/pedraza_roberto/?hl=en
- Discover Conservation’s article about Roberto: http://www.discoverconservation.org/alleviating-poverty-conservation-mexico/
- Plantastico, a monthly virtual lecture series from Sociedad Botanica de Mexico: https://www.socbot.mx/plantaacutestico-webinar.html
- Macpalxóchitl, a bulletin-style publication from Sociedad Botanica de Mexico: https://www.socbot.mx/macpalxoacutechitl.html
About the Research Lecture Series
The BRIT Research Lecture Series is designed to create community wide conversation about a diverse range of important and rapidly developing topics. This series gives scientists and speakers a forum for sharing the most current information about their areas of expertise and allows the public to interact with leading members of the local, national, and international scientific community. Read more at brit.org/events/lecture-series.