Rock Springs is the oldest of all the gardens in the Botanic Garden, and a part of the original 37.5 acres purchased in 1912. The City Forester, Raymond C. Morrison, supervised the construction of Rock Springs Park and channeled the three natural springs into streams, ponds, and waterfalls and used Palo Pinto County sandstone to create walkways along the rivulets and ponds. Construction was completed in 1936. The building of Interstate 30 in the 1950s compressed the natural springs that gave the garden its name, and water was pumped from the Trinity River to try to revive the area.
By the mid-2000s, Rock Springs was showing signs of age. After John Tinsley bequeathed his estate for the restoration and cultivation of a garden in memory of his parents, Victor and Cleyone Tinsley, Rock Springs was selected for the site. In 2013 construction began to improve the garden and restore the pools and walkways. Planting the native plants and habitat enjoyed by Native Americans and early settlers as they camped by the spring would complete the restoration of the garden.