Adventures in Baja California Botany
“Adventures in Baja California Botany”
A (Virtual) Lunchtime Lecture by Dr. Sula Vanderplank
Dr. Sula Vanderplank will present on the role of expeditions and cross-disciplinary projects in conservation science, drawing from her experience studying ecosystems from mediterranean to tropics. She will also discuss the importance of working hand in hand with local government and non-profit organizations, as well as generating accessible products such as published reports, field guides, travel blogs, and photography as well as scientific papers and specimens. This 1-hr seminar will include a short Q&A session after the lecture.
Dr. Vanderplank is the Director of Terrestrial Ecosystem Conservation and Trans-border Partnerships for Pronatura Noroeste. She is also adjunct faculty at the Center for Scientific Research and Higher Education of Ensenada (CICESE) and San Diego State University as well as a BRIT Research Associate. Her research focuses on floristics and conservation biology.
This virtual seminar will be broadcast using the Zoom platform. Click here to connect to the event [link will be posted one day before the event]. The host will admit you once the event begins. Guests will be muted upon entry to the session.
Lecture includes a chat-based Q&A with the speaker. A recording of the lecture will be posted online after the event pending permission from the presenter. Check out past lectures here.
- THIS EVENT HAS ENDED. You may view the recording at https://youtu.be/53hLjjenuHw.
- Resources mentioned during the lecture:
- CEMA (Centro de Estudios del Medio Ambiente)
- Cabo Pulmo, Arroyo La Junta, Baja California Pacific Islands, San Basilio, Border BioBlitz reports: https://nextgensd.com/n-gen-reports-and-papers/
- Revillagigedo report; direct link to pdf
- San Pedro Martir field guide
- FESI-UNAM Seed Bank/Banco de Semillas
- 2021 Border BioBlitz webpage
- 2022 Border BioBlitz webpage
- iNat 2022 Border BioBlitz: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/border-bioblitz-2022
- Eco-Alianza social media (for following projects and research): Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Sula’s contact info (for other questions): firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Research Lecture Series
The BRIT Research Lecture Series is designed to create community wide conversation about a diverse range of important and rapidly developing topics. This series gives scientists and speakers a forum for sharing the most current information about their areas of expertise and allows the public to interact with leading members of the local, national, and international scientific community. Read more at brit.org/events/lecture-series.