Minimum $20/hr Starting Pay
Review a summary of our benefits on the previous Careers page.
About the Position
The Fort Worth Botanic Garden | Botanical Research Institute of Texas (FWBG|BRIT) seeks a Full-Time Horticulturist to design, install, and maintain horticulture displays in the iconic Fuller Garden. The ideal candidate will lend horticultural expertise and contribute innovative solutions to maintain the highest aesthetic standards expected by the institution and provide a high level of excellence in guest experience.
Every position at FWBG|BRIT is important to the organization’s success and contributes to the accomplishment of the strategic goals and, ultimately, achievement of its vision for the future. This role encompasses every employee’s goal of engaging with colleagues, partners, and stakeholders in support of the organization’s mission. Engagement includes participation on teams and committees, exerting extra effort to help the organization succeed, and investing time in the guest experience. Success in this position involves taking pride in working for this organization, committing to effective communication, being solution focused, and embracing a culture of positive change. FWBG|BRIT is continuously working to build a culture where employees each work with an enthusiastic desire to contribute their skills, wisdom, and ideas towards their team’s performance and to experience a sense of satisfaction in the important role they play.
The Horticulturist will be responsible for:
- Performs complex manual labor tasks related to planting and maintenance; maintains an orderly and aesthetically pleasing appearance of assigned areas.
- Plans long-term fertilization and pesticide application schedules; selects and applies proper fertilizer, pesticide and water for turf, shrubs, trees, and flowers.
- Safely and properly operates landscape maintenance equipment including lawnmowers and hedge clippers; trims shrubs and trees with appropriate tools.
- Collects and removes leaves; performs seeding, planting, and related tasks; prunes and shapes ornamental shrubs and trees.
- Implements mowing schedule and maintains turf areas through proper mowing practices.
- Implements irrigating schedule; monitors, maintains, and performs minor repair on irrigation systems; assists in the installation of new irrigation systems.
- Installs landscape materials in new areas and well-developed beds.
- Cleans and maintains tools, vehicles, and equipment as appropriate.
- Drains, cleans, and treats fountains and pools with appropriate chemicals.
- Operates motorized vehicles and wears appropriate personal protection equipment.
- Participates in the planning, preparation, and filling of employee roles for various public events/exhibits hosted by the FWBG|BRIT.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education & Experience
- High School diploma/GED supplemented by college-level course work in Horticulture or related field.
- Two years of responsible experience in a professional garden or nursery environment selecting and applying pesticides, planting, and pruning.
- Experience with common insects, diseases, weeds, and use of fertilizer sprayers, seed spreaders and pesticide equipment.
- Education in garden design elements, plant culture, and plant identification and characteristics is preferred.
Please see full job description below for a more detailed list of job tasks and applicant qualifications.
How to Apply
FWBG|BRIT strives to maintain a positive working environment focused on growth and success of individuals, working together in a collaborative, professional manner, with communication a priority. To apply, please download the linked application and submit the completed form (and/or a resume) and cover letter as a single document to: email@example.com. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. FWBG|BRIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.