Minimum $20.25/hr Starting Pay
Review a summary of our benefits on the previous Careers page.
The Fort Worth Botanic Garden (FWBG) seeks a full-time employee to work in a production greenhouse. The ideal candidate will assist with greenhouse plant production for poinsettia’s, chrysanthemums, annual color, and vegetables. Responsibilities will include plant propagation, maintaining accurate plant records, monitoring greenhouse systems, managing greenhouse sanitation and supervising a team of dedicated volunteers. The successful candidate will be flexible, productive, accountable, manage their time and resources well, maintain strict quality controls, and be a team player. This is a full-time position, and the regular hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.; however, this position can regularly require long hours. Scheduled work on evenings, weekends and holidays may be required. Duties are performed inside and outside, year-round, at a productive pace in North Central Texas weather conditions.
Every position at Fort Worth Botanic Garden (FWBG) is important to the organization’s success and contributes to the accomplishment of the strategic goals and, ultimately, achievement of its vision for the future. This role encompasses every employee’s goal of engaging with colleagues, partners, and stakeholders in support of the organization’s mission. Engagement includes participation on teams and committees, exerting extra effort to help the organization succeed, and investing time in the guest experience. Success in this position involves taking pride in working for this organization, committing to effective communication, being solution focused, and embracing a culture of positive change. FWBG is continuously working to build a culture where employees each work with an enthusiastic desire to contribute their skills, wisdom, and ideas towards their team’s performance and to experience a sense of satisfaction in the key role they play.
Some of the daily responsibilities we rely on the Greenhouse Production Specialist to perform are:
- Maintains greenhouse as a functioning propagation facility, including buildings and hoop houses.
- Cultivates plants by watering, spraying various mixtures of insecticides, applying fertilizers, and regulating temperatures by ventilation and heating controls.
- Makes soil mixes; makes cuttings; plants, transplants, a wide variety of flowers and plants in the greenhouse and hoop houses.
- Operates hand tools and equipment such as sprayers, blower, power washer, brooms, shovels, and rakes.
- Operates a Cushman or truck to transport floral displays to other areas. Operate shuttle for volunteers coming to work in greenhouses.
- Participates in planting of floral displays.
- Participates in the maintenance of the grounds surrounding related facilities; maintains nursery equipment and supplies.
- Engages community through providing educational programs to school groups or individual visitors, aids volunteer and intern groups in special projects.
- May oversee activities of interns and volunteers.
- Participates in the planning, preparation, and filling of employee roles for various public events/exhibits hosted by the FWBG.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- A high school diploma/GED supplemented by college level course work in horticulture or a related field.
- Two years of responsible experience in a professional greenhouse or nursery environment selecting and applying pesticides, propagating, pruning, and watering.
- Ability to obtain a valid Texas pesticide applicators license.
- Must maintain a current Texas Driver’s License and auto-related liability insurance.
- Requirement to undergo a physical exam to assess whether the person is able to perform the duties of the position with or without accommodation.
Please see the full job description for a more detailed list of job tasks and applicant qualifications.
FWBG strives to maintain a positive working environment focused on growth and success of individuals, working together in a collaborative, professional manner, with communication a priority. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. FWBG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.